THE AFRICAN FABRICS MOVEMENT QUILT & WEARABLE ART MYSTERY CHALLENGE.
STARTS AUGUST 25 - DECEMBER 31 2021
Give Us Your Best Creative Interpretation With The Indigenous Fabrics of Africa!
This year, the Challenge is coming home!
We will be using Adire fabric from the ancient Yoruba city of Abeoukuta.
A place renowned as the Adire capital of West Africa, the communities the processes inherited from their family line.
From now until the end of the Challenge period, we will be learning the types of Adire (Oniko, Alabere and Eleko).
Continuing the conversation from the just concluded African Fabrics Summit, the theme of this year's Challenge is Ripple Effect-Each One, Teach One. Let's Build Bridges! (thank you Montika Allen Atkinson, Sue Griffiths and Myla Chapman for the words and inspiration).
You are required to create a piece in any of the submission categories below that will become your pebble in the pond.
That piece that will create a ripple wave, become your conversation starter to lead you to a point of building a bridge of educating and acceptance.
- Quilted Art Piece: (Fine Art): 12"x12" - 30"x30"
- Quilted Wall Hangings: 24"×24" - 45"×45"
- Quilts: 50"×50" - 80"×80"
- Quilted Wearable Art: May be any garment that is wearable (Must be Displayed on a model or mannequin).
- There are no limits to the number of different art pieces, wall hangings, quilts or garments you can make and enter.
- You can use a pattern or create your own design. All methods, sewing, quilting and embellishment techniques are eligible.
- You must purchase and use the Quilt Africa Fabrics Challenge Bundle of 10 or more Fat Quarters.
- 25% of your African prints fabrics may be from other sources.
- Photos of completed quilt tops and garments will be accepted.
- Garments must be knee length (minimum requirement) coats, capes or vests.
- The outside of you garment must adhere to the guidelines as stated.
- In addition, your lining may be your fabric of choice (silk, lightweight cotton, satin) to name a few.
- Share your progress and projects on your social media pages using the hashtag: #africanfabricsmovement.
- Follow the challenge rules and requirements and submit up to 4 clear digital images of the finished quilt by December 31, 2021 email@example.com
- August 25, 2021— Challenge Opens
- December 31, 2021— Challenge Deadline.
- January 9, 2022— Winners Announced.
All entries submitted will be reviewed by a panel of Judges.
Group members can vote for their favourite quilts for the Viewers Choice Awards.
- Judges Choice
- Viewers choice
Winners receive prizes of a $50 Quilt Africa Fabrics Gift Card.
All decisions made are final.